Today we are taking a look at the design evolution of one of our characters, a personal favorite of mine: "Security Llama". Once we had our cast of characters and assigned to each of them their unique role in the game, we put together our original deck of cards for play testing. We added text and art to blank card stock. As seen on the left, Lillian provided the original illustrations for these cards (sadly that is my handwriting).
We played lots of games with these original cards as we tuned the game. Next we worked with our illustrator, Hank, to come up with the final art. Some cards required several sketches before we were happy with the design. Above, you can see a couple of these sketches for "Security Llama."
Lastly, Hank put the final touches on the art by pulling it in to Illustrator, cleaning up the line work and adding the color.
It was really fun to watch the evolution of the art from Lillian's original drawings to Hank's fully polished designs.
Thank you for reading and watch this space for more Goatfish news!